Orange Infused Olive Oil Gelato (Gelato di arancia olio d’oliva infuso)
Olive oil is delicious and versatile, but when infused with complementary flavors it is out of this world. This is a beautiful, subtle, yet complex ice cream that is even more stunning when drizzled with just a bit more infused olive oil.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 10 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup orange-infused olive oil
- ¼ tsp. salt
- In a medium saucepan, bring milk and cream just to a boil and immediately remove from heat.
- With an electric or stand mixer, beat egg yolks and sugar on high until tripled in volume. Scrape down sides of bowl occasionally. Reduce speed to low and slowly drizzle in olive oil and salt.
- Slowly add the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture until combined, then add it back into the saucepan. Whisk constantly over medium-low heat until it coats the back of a wooden spoon. Be careful not to overheat or the eggs will curdle.
- Place fine-mesh sieve over a large bowl. Strain gelato mixture. Chill 4 hours or overnight.
- Add to ice cream maker and follow manufacturer’s instructions for freezing. Stop the churning as soon as the gelato is just frozen.