Special Madeleine molds will give you just the right crispness on the edge of these classic pastries, but try using a muffin, mini-muffin or whoopee pie pan if that’s what you happen to have on hand.
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 cup Gold Medal® All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon orange-flavored liqueur or orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Grease and flour twenty-four 3-inch madeleine molds. Beat egg white in small bowl with electric mixer on high speed until foamy. Beat in 1/4 cup of the granulated sugar, 1 Tbsp. at a time. Continue beating until stiff and glossy; set meringue aside.
- Beat egg yolk, remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and remaining ingredients except powdered sugar in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Fold in meringue.
- Fill molds two-thirds full. Tap pan firmly on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool slightly before removing from pan. Cool on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar just before serving.