Orange Rhubarb Muffins
Serves: 12Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups finely chopped rhubarb
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease 12 muffin-tin cups.
- In a bowl, combine the rhubarb with 1⁄4 cup sugar and lemon zest. Let stand for 5 minutes. In another bowl, stir together the flour, the remaining 1⁄2 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Make a well in the center. Stir together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter and add all at once to the well. Stir quickly just until moistened. The batter should be lumpy. Gently fold in the rhubarb mixture. Spoon into the prepared muffin cups, filling each two-thirds full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the top springs back when touched. Cool on a rack.