Orange-Scented Pumpkin Buns
Save to My Recipes
These heavenly rolls are great spread with honey at brunch, or dipped in turkey gravy at dinner.
Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 35 minutes
- ¾ cup water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1¾ tsp. active dry yeast (1 package)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 2 tsp. plus ⅛ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp. grated orange zest
- 5 cups bread flour
- 1 large egg
- In a large bowl, combine water, 1 teaspoon sugar, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and let stand about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining sugar, butter, pumpkin, 2 teaspoons salt, nutmeg, orange zest, and enough bread flour to create a firm dough. Add flour only to reduce stickiness. Turn out onto a floured surface and knead 8–10 minutes. Return to bowl, dust the top with flour, and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap. Rise at room temperature until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. Turn risen dough onto a floured surface. Shape into a rope, about 3" thick. Slice 2" pieces off the rope, then roll each into a tight ball. Place balls on prepared pan, seam-side down. Dust lightly with flour, cover loosely with plastic wrap, and proof for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix egg with remaining salt and brush lightly across proofed rolls. Bake until golden brown, about 20–25 minutes. Cool completely.