Orecchiette with Broccoli and Saffron Vinaigrette
You can use any short, shaped pasta for this recipe, check cooking times on package. For a milder, sweeter taste, you can substitute broccolini for the broccoli.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp. saffron threads
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3⁄4 lb. dried orecchiette
- 3 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- Pour the vinegar into a small saucepan. Add the saffron threads and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Immediately remove from the heat and let cool. The saffron will infuse the vinegar.
- In a bowl, combine the cooled vinegar and saffron, lemon juice, mustard, and garlic. Whisk in the olive oil. Add the salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and blanch for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again and pat dry.
- Bring a large pot of water and 1 tablespoon salt to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta, stir to separate, and cook until al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool and drain again. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta, add broccoli, and toss well. Add the Parmesan cheese and red pepper and mix again. Garnish with the parsley.