Orecchiette with Broccolini Saffron Vinaigrette
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ tsp. saffron threads
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- ¾ lb. orecchiette
- 3 Tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- Make the dressing: Pour the vinegar into a small saucepan. Add the saffron threads and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Immediately remove from the heat and let cool. The saffron will infuse the vinegar.
- In a bowl, combine the cooled vinegar and saffron, lemon juice, mustard, and garlic. Whisk in the olive oil. Add the salt and pepper. Adjust the seasoning. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the broccoli and blanch for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drain again and pat dry.
- In a large pot, bring at least 4 quarts water to a rolling boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the pasta, stir to separate, and cook until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool and drain again. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the pasta and toss well. Add the Parmesan cheese and red pepper and mix again. Taste for seasoning. Garnish with the parsley.