Orecchiette with Peas and Onions
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 onions, cut in half through the stem and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 4 cups fresh or frozen tiny peas
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. orecchiette
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese
- In a large pot, bring at least 4 quarts water to a rolling boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened. Add the peas, salt, and pepper, and cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in 2 tablespoons of water from the pot of boiling water. Reduce heat to low and cover skillet.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water, stir well to separate, and cook until al dente. Drain and transfer to a warm serving bowl. Add some of the cheese and toss until melted. Top with the onion mixture and the remaining cheese.