Orecchiette with Tuna and Tomato Sauce
Serve this Italian classic with bowls of gelato for dessert.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs. tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. orecchiette pasta
- 1 can (5 oz.) tuna, drained
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, garlic, basil, oil, and pepper; stir to mix well. Set aside at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and place in a large warmed bowl.
- Pour the tomato mixture into a food processor or blender and blend on medium speed until well mixed. Expect a few chunks of tomatoes to remain.
- Put the tomato sauce in a large saucepan and heat on medium heat until it begins to bubble. Add tuna and pasta. Toss to mix. Serve hot.