Original NILLA Banana Pudding
This traditional dessert, which is just as rich and creamy as you remember from childhood, will take you for a tasty trip down memory lane.
Serves: 12Prep: 30 minutesCook: 1 hourTotal: 1 hour 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, divided
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- Dash salt
- 3 eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 45 NILLA Wafers, divided
- 5 bananas, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In top of double boiler, mix ½ cup sugar, flour and salt. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
- Reserve 12 wafers for garnish. Onto bottom of 1½-quart baking dish, spread small amount of custard. Cover with layers, each ⅓ of remaining wafers, bananas and custard. Repeat layers 2 times.
- Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar until stiff peaks form. Spread over custard, sealing well to edge of dish.
- Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly. Top with reserved wafers just before serving.