Oven-Baked Apple Pancake
Moist, airy, and delicious, this homey dessert will impress with its taste and simplicity. The oven does all the work; just whisk together the ingredients, pour, and bake. In just 30 minutes, you’ve got a healthy, heavenly treat. For variety, substitute diced pears, plums, or peaches for the apple, or add chopped nuts or dried fruit to the batter. Serve for breakfast or brunch, too!
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 2 cups peeled, cored, and sliced apples
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄3 cup plus 1⁄4 cup pure maple syrup, divided
- 3⁄4 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly oil a large ovenproof skillet with 1 teaspoon olive oil and set aside.
- Place apple, vanilla, baking powder, flours, applesauce, 1⁄3 cup maple syrup, and milk in a medium mixing bowl and whisk well to combine. Pour batter into the prepared pan and smooth top to even.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and sprinkle evenly over the batter.
- Place pan on middle rack in oven and bake 25 minutes, until golden brown.
- Remove skillet from oven. Use a rubber spatula and carefully loosen pancake from pan. Slice like a pizza into 8 pieces, drizzle with remaining maple syrup, and serve immediately.