Oven-Baked Potato Skins
These hearty potatoes are great as an appetizer or as a side dish to a nice steak.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 cup crumbled cooked bacon
- 1 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup chopped scallions
- Prick the potato skins with a fork and place on a plate in microwave oven. Microwave on high for 9 minutes, turning once during cooking time, until potatoes are tender. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Cut the potatoes in half and scoop out the flesh, leaving about 1⁄4-inch shell. Cover the flesh tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days for another use.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and place upside down on a cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the potatoes flesh side up and bake for 20 minutes longer until the shells are crisp.
- When potatoes are done, sprinkle with bacon and Cheddar cheese and return to oven. Bake for 5 minutes longer until cheese melts. Top potatoes with sour cream and scallions.