Oven-Fried Green Tomatoes
If you like fried green tomatoes, you’ll love this healthier version. Soft and tender inside with a crisp outer coating, it’s all of the flavor with none of the fat!
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 medium green tomatoes
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup salt-free breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a baking sheet lightly with oil and set aside.
- Wash and slice the tomatoes into thick, 1⁄2-inch rounds and set aside.
- Place the egg white into a shallow bowl and beat. Measure the bread crumbs and cornmeal into a second shallow bowl, add the Parmesan cheese and black pepper, and stir to combine.
- Dip the tomato slices into the egg, then coat with bread crumbs. Place slices in a single layer on the baking sheet. Place baking sheet on the middle rack in oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Gently flip the slices and return to the oven for another 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.