Overnight Egg and Sausage Casserole
Egg bakes are great make-ahead dishes for busy times or holidays. They require time for the bread to soak up the custard mixture, so spend a few minutes assembling the casserole the night before and have this yummy family favorite dish ready to bake for brunch in the morning.
Serves: 12Prep: 25 minutesCook: 9 hours 20 minutesTotal: 9 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced, any color
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 8 cups French or Vienna bread, cubed (about 8 oz.)
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In medium skillet, cook sausage over medium-high heat 8-10 minutes or until browned, stirring to break up meat; drain. Stir in bell pepper and onion. Cook 3 minutes or until vegetables start to soften, stirring occasionally.
- Butter or spray 13"x9" (3-quart) baking dish. Place bread cubes in dish. Top with cheese, followed by the sausage mixture.
- In medium bowl, beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper with wire whisk until blended. Pour over sausage. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- When ready to bake, remove dish from refrigerator and let stand at least 30 minutes. Heat oven to 350°F. Uncover dish and bake 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes. Cut in squares to serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers.