Oyster Po’ Boys
The soft interior and crackly crust of French bread is perfect for this sandwich.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ¾ cup cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅛ tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 quart small fresh shucked oysters, drained
- 4 crusty French bread rolls
- 1 cup rémoulade sauce
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- 4 leaves lettuce
- 1 small tomato, thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, cayenne, and salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pat each oyster dry with a paper towel. Dip them in cornmeal mixture, and then lay gently into the skillet.
- Fry oysters in batches until golden brown, turning once, about 5 minutes total. Set aside to dry on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Spread rolls with rémoulade sauce. Add oysters, and then top with lettuce and tomato.