Paella is a dish for a celebration! This delicious recipe is a cross between a soup and a stew. Serve it with lots of garlic bread to soak up the juices.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups chicken stock
- ¼ tsp. saffron threads
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ lb. medium raw shrimp
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground white pepper
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- ½ cup chopped jarred roasted red pepper
- 12 whole mussels, de-bearded
- In microwave-safe glass measuring cup, combine chicken broth and saffron. Microwave on high for 1 minute, then set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shrimp; cook and stir until shrimp curl and turn pink; remove from skillet. Add chicken to skillet and sprinkle with salt and pepper; cook and stir until chicken turns white; remove from skillet. Add onion and garlic to drippings remaining in skillet; cook and stir for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and rice; cook and stir for 2–3 minutes. Add the chicken broth mixture. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 20 minutes.
- Add chicken, shrimp, peas, and red pepper to rice mixture; stir. Arrange mussels over top and cover skillet. Cook, shaking skillet frequently, for 5 –7 minutes, or until mussels open. Serve immediately.