Paleo “Butterscotch–Caramel” Glazed Nuts
These nuts are worth a little extra effort and taste even better when sprinkled over baked apples.
Serves: 32Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 8 hours 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- ½ cup coconut butter
- 2 cups full fat coconut milk
- 3 cups honey
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 4 cups raw almonds, pecan halves, or walnut halves
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- Add coconut butter, coconut milk, honey, and lemon juice to a 2-quart or smaller, slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 1 hour or until the coconut butter is melted and the milk begins to bubble around the edges of the cooker. Uncover and stir. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Uncover and cook on low for 1 more hour or until the mixture coats the back of the spoon or the sauce reaches its desired thickness. Stir in the vanilla. Remove all but ½ cup sauce. Set aside the rest for another use.
- Add nuts and cinnamon to the sauce. Stir to coat the nuts. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours, stirring at least once an hour. Uncover and, stirring the mixture every 20 minutes, cook on low for 1 more hour until the nuts are almost dry.
- Evenly spread the nuts on a lined baking sheet and cool completely. Store in a covered container.