Paleo Chicken Cacciatore
This classic Italian dish, also called hunter’s stew, is cooked slowly until the chicken is falling off the bone.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 whole chicken, cut up
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (15 oz.) stewed tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup all-natural chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 Tbsp. capers
- Heat oil in a medium-size frying pan over medium-high heat. Brown chicken thoroughly, about 10 minutes. Remove chicken from pan. Add onion, red bell pepper, and garlic to the hot pan; sauté until onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, broth, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Add chicken back into the pan with sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 to 45 minutes. Stir in capers. Remove bay leaf from the sauce before serving.