Paleo Jerk Chicken
This recipe will bring everyone to the table. It’s filled with spice and warming ingredients, and would be perfect with fried plantains or sautéed greens.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 2 hours 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. coriander seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp. black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. whole cloves
- ½ tsp. ground or grated nutmeg
- ½ tsp. allspice
- 2 scallions (white and greens parts), chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped from the stalk
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium shallots, peeled and chopped
- ½ cup coconut aminos
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 oz. each)
- 1 medium lime, cut in wedges
- 2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Place the coriander seeds, cinnamon stick, peppercorns, and cloves in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg and allspice. Process the mixture into a spice grinder until finely ground. Pour into a medium bowl, and add the scallions, hot pepper, thyme, garlic, shallots, coconut aminos, and oil. Stir well.
- Place the chicken in a large resealable plastic bag. Pour the spice and coconut aminos mixture over the chicken. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Bake the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to medium, and cook chicken for an additional 5 minutes, turning once. When chicken is slightly charred, serve immediately with lime wedges and cilantro.