Paleo Pumpkin Soup
This is a perfect autumn soup to celebrate the harvest season. If you’re short on time or pumpkins are out of season, substitute 1 can (15 ounces) of puréed pumpkin for the fresh pumpkin.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hoursDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups large-diced fresh sugar pumpkin, seeds reserved separately
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 leeks, sliced
- 1½ tsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cans (15 oz.) low-sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Clean the pumpkin seeds thoroughly, place them on a baking sheet, and sprinkle with salt. Roast for approximately 5–8 minutes, until light golden.
- Place the diced pumpkin in a baking dish with the leeks, ginger, and olive oil; roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until cooked al dente.
- Transfer the cooked pumpkin mixture to a large stockpot and add the zest, juice, stock, and pepper; let simmer for 30–45 minutes.
- To serve, ladle into serving bowls. Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and sprinkle with toasted pumpkin seeds.