Palets Solognots (Butter and Raisin Cookies)
These butter and raisin cookies are a classic in the Loire Valley, where they are sometimes also called Palets Chambord, in homage to the beautiful French castle. They are great petits fours to serve with Champagne, for instance.
Makes: 20 cookiesHands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
Makes: 20 cookies
- 3 oz. raisins
- ⅓ cup rum
- ½ cup butter, diced, at room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 1¼ cup all-purpose flour
- In a small bowl, marinate the raisins in the rum for about 1 hour at room temperature.
- In a large bowl, work the butter by stirring it with a wooden spoon until it’s really smooth and soft. Break the eggs into the butter, and stir with the wooden spoon until it’s well mixed. Stirring continuously, adding the flour, sugar, and the raisins. If the batter is very liquid, place in the refrigerator to firm it up.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Put a parchment paper sheet on a baking sheet. Take one tablespoonful of batter and put it on the parchment paper. Repeat until the entire rack is full (be careful to space them well, about 1" apart).
- Bake for 10 minutes. Only the edges of the cookie should have changed color.
- Let them cool down and store in an airtight container.