Pan-Fried Potato Latkes
These delicious potato pancakes are a perfect accompaniment to breakfast, lunch, or dinner, but are filling enough to eat on their own. Season them as desired; try them plain or topped with applesauce, ketchup, or even sour cream. Whether you like them sweet or savory—or just the way they are—you’ll find yourself making them again and again.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and grated
- 1 small onion, peeled and grated
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. white whole-wheat flour
- ½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup olive oil
- Place potato and onion in a large mixing bowl. Add eggs, flours, pepper, and nutmeg and stir well to combine.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ⅓ cup potato mixture to hot oil, flatten slightly with a spatula, and cook until golden brown and crisp on bottom, about 3–5 minutes. Flip gently and brown on second side another 3–5 minutes.
- Remove from pan and drain on paper towels. Repeat process with remaining potato mixture.
- Serve warm.