Panko-Crusted Fried Green Tomatoes
Picked from the vine before they have fully ripened, firm green tomatoes are a great addition to stir-fries.
Serves: 12Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 cup quality mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 ¼ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper, divided
- 3 large green tomatoes, sliced into ½" slices
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup cornmeal
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ tsp. cayenne pepper
- In a medium bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, garlic, 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, lemon juice, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon black pepper together and refrigerate, covered for at least 30 minutes.
- Season the tomatoes with remaining black pepper and ½ teaspoon salt. Put the flour in a shallow dish. In another dish, whisk together the egg and buttermilk. In a third shallow dish, combine the cornmeal and bread crumbs.
- Heat the remaining oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat until it is nearly smoking. One at a time, place a slice of tomato into the flour and shake off excess. Dip into the egg wash and finally into the bread crumb mixture. Be sure to evenly coat and shake off excess breading. Gently transfer the breaded tomato slices into the wok.
- Once browned, flip the tomatoes on the other side to continue frying. This will take approximately 2 minutes on each side. Remove the fried tomatoes and drain on plates lined with paper towels. Sprinkle the hot slices with cayenne pepper and remaining salt.
- Repeat until all the tomatoes have been fried; serve immediately with garlic aioli.