Panzanella Bread Salad
The bread in this salad soaks up the juices of the tomatoes and the flavors of the olives and vinegar.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 4 slices (½" thick) French bread
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp. sea salt, divided
- ½ tsp. cracked black pepper, divided
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 3½ cups ripe diced tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 4 Tbsp. chopped basil leaves
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Brush sliced bread with ¼ cup olive oil and sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and a few pinches of black pepper. Brown both sides of the bread on a grill over medium heat. Once bread is toasted, rub the garlic clove on both sides of bread. Tear bread into pieces and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumber, and basil. For the dressing, whisk together the remaining ¼ cup olive oil, salt, pepper, and red wine vinegar in a small bowl.
- Toss the pieces of bread with the tomato mixture. Add the dressing and mix well. Allow salad to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before serving.