These Texas-style beans are a great alternative to traditional Boston-baked beans.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 4 hoursDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded and diced
- 8 oz. dried white beans, soaked overnight in water to cover and drained
- 3 cans (15 oz.) whole tomatoes, chopped
- 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup yellow mustard
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- ⅛ tsp. salt
- ⅛ tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Place a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once it is heated through, add the oil, onion, and the bell pepper. Cook for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and stir continually for 1 minute. Add the jalapeño and stir to combine.
- Add the beans, tomatoes, cinnamon, ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, and vinegar. Cover and cook in the center of the oven for 1 hour.
- Stir the contents every 30 minutes for the next 2 hours. Keep the pan covered while it cooks. Remove the lid and cook for 30 more minutes. Add salt and pepper.