Use fresh asparagus for best results.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 egg whites (from large eggs)
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 lbs. thick asparagus spears, washed and trimmed
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease a large, rimmed baking sheet with olive oil.
- Combine 1 1⁄2 cups Parmesan, bread crumbs, butter, salt, and pepper in a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
- In a bowl, whip the egg whites and sugar until soft peaks form. Add the asparagus and toss. Dredge each spear in the bread crumb mixture and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes or until just starting to brown. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese and finish baking until the cheese is melted, about 5 minutes. Plate and serve immediately.