Parmesan, Prosciutto, and Asparagus Oven Omelet
This omelet is a take on the classic American ham and cheese omelet. Because Parmesan cheese and prosciutto are boldly flavored and slightly salty, you can use less, reduce the amount of added salt in the egg mixture, and save on calories.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hourDifficulty: Easy
- 1 lb. asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 12 large egg whites
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 4 oz. prosciutto, thinly sliced
- 1⁄3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped basil
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and lightly spray a 9-by-13-inch casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Place the asparagus and 1 tablespoon water into a microwave-safe bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and steam the asparagus on the high setting until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Drain the asparagus and allow to cool.
- Whisk the egg whites, yolks, milk, prosciutto, Parmesan, basil, salt, and pepper together in a large bowl. Add the cooled asparagus and stir. Pour into the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake the omelet, uncovered, on the middle rack until it is set in the center, 45 to 50 minutes.