Experiment with different mushrooms at your local market. They can all be treated the same way as the white mushrooms called for here.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 package (10 oz.) white mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 small red onion, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1⁄2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Remove the whole stems from the mushrooms. Roughly chop the stems and set aside the caps.
- In a small sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat until barely smoking. Add the mushroom stems, onion, and garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes, until slightly softened and fragrant. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, mix together the sautéed mushroom mixture, the breadcrumbs, Parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, parsley, lemon juice, and remaining olive oil.
- Stuff each mushroom cap with the mixture, slightly packing the filling down using a small spoon.
- Place the mushrooms in an ovenproof dish and bake for about 10 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.