Parsnip Soup with Pine Nuts
For a different flavor, substitute almonds for pine nuts as your garnish for this tasty soup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 lb. parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp. pine nuts
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a soup pot. Add onion and parsnips; cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the broth and add the cayenne. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts in a single layer under the broiler for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat and allow it to cool slightly. Using a blender or food processor, purée the mixture. Reheat without boiling. Stir in the cream. (Be sure not to allow the soup to boil once the cream has been added.) Garnish with nuts and serve.