Parsnip and Turmeric Soup
Parsnip has a distinct sweet taste that will be soothing to your palate. The touch of fresh turmeric adds color and wonderful anti-inflammatory properties.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 hour 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large white onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 large stalks celery, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- 10 cups gluten-free chicken stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pieces (3 inches each) fresh turmeric root, diced
- 3 1⁄2 lbs. parsnips, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup light coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. chopped chives
- In a large stock pot over medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Add the onion, celery, and garlic. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock, bay leaf, turmeric root, and parsnips. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour or until the parsnips are soft.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
- Transfer to a blender and blend in batches until smooth. Return to the pot and cook over medium heat. Add the coconut milk. Garnish with chives and serve warm.