Passion Beet Borscht
This is a creamy version of the classic Russian-style soup.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups beets, diced
- 5 cups spring water
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 medium parsnip, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 1⁄2 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 4 tsp. sweet white miso
- Lemon juice, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- In a saucepan, add beets in water. Bring to boil, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Add carrot and parsnip and continue to cook over medium heat until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a skillet, sauté onions with caraway seeds and cabbage in oil until soft. Add onions and cabbage to the soup.
- Purée miso in a little cooking liquid. Add miso purée to soup and simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Purée soup in a blender until creamy. Add lemon juice to taste. Garnish with freshly chopped dill.