Try this twist on traditional paella using orzo pasta instead of rice.
Serves: 8Prep: 15 minutesCook: 30 minutesTotal: 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1 pound orzo pasta
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons saffron threads
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 16 ounces medium shrimp, thawed, peeled and deveined
- 1 package (13 oz.) Kroger Beef Smoked Sausage, sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 16 ounces fresh mussels, scrubbed clean, discard any with cracked shells
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and saffron. Cook according to package directions for al dente; drain.
- In a large skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat oil over medium high heat. Cook shrimp until just opaque; remove from pan. Brown sausage slices; remove from pan.
- Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, 3-5 minutes until fragrant and tender. Add white wine, scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in tomatoes, salt, paprika and pepper; bring to a simmer.
- Add pasta and reserved shrimp and sausage; stir to combine. Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Top with peas and mussels. Cover and cook 4-6 minutes or until mussels open; discard any mussels that don’t open.
- Refrigerate leftovers.