Pasta with Garlic Bread Crumbs
Breadcrumbs are a classic substitute for cheese in older Italian recipes. This simple dish is quick and delicious.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 slices whole wheat bread, crumbled
- 1 package (16 oz.) fettuccine pasta
- 3⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup minced fresh parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and shallots; cook and stir until tender and fragrant.
- Add breadcrumbs to skillet; cook and stir until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes. At the same time, add the pasta to the boiling water. Cook until al dente according to package directions.
- Scoop the pasta out of the cooking water using a large sieve and add to the breadcrumb mixture. Add a ladle of the pasta cooking water to the skillet along with the cheese and parsley; toss over low heat until combined. Serve immediately.