Pasta with Sausage and Escarole Sauce
This warm, satisfying pasta is perfect for a weeknight meal, but sophisticated enough for entertaining.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 30 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, cut in bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes,
- 2 cups escarole, torn into small pieces
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a pot of water to boil and cook the penne according to the package directions. Drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy deep frying pan. Add the sausage and cook over medium heat. Stir in the garlic when the sausage is almost done.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, escarole, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 minutes or until the escarole wilts. Add pasta and toss. Serve hot topped with Parmesan cheese.