Pasta with Spinach Pesto
Adding spinach to prepared pesto turns the color a bright green and adds flavor and nutrition, in addition to lowering the fat content.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄2 cup frozen cut spinach
- 3⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 container (10 oz.) prepared basil pesto
- 2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 package (16 oz.) gemelli pasta
- Thaw spinach by running under hot water; drain well and squeeze with your hands to drain thoroughly. Combine in food processor or blender with 1⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese, pesto, and lemon juice. Process or blend until mixture is smooth.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta as directed on package until al dente. Drain well, reserving 1⁄2 cup pasta cooking water. Return pasta to pan and add pesto mixture and 1⁄4 cup pasta cooking water. Toss gently to coat, adding more pasta cooking water if needed to make a smooth sauce. Serve with remaining 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese.