Pasta-Wrapped Shrimp with Pesto
This pasta-wrapped shrimp makes an impressive presentation. And the taste is equally fantastic.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 shallots, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 bulb garlic, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 cups durum wheat flour
- 1⁄8 tsp. iodized salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup water (room temperature)
- 2 lbs. medium fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cups pesto
- In a small bowl, combine shallots, garlic, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Sift together the flour and salt into a large mixing bowl. Whisk the eggs in a small bowl. Mix the olive oil and water into the eggs.
- Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the egg mixture. Mix together the flour mixture and egg mixture by hand or in a mixer with a dough hook until the dough forms in to a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and let rest in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Roll out the pasta dough into a sheet as thin as possible, taking care not to tear the dough. Cut into 3-inch squares.
- Place 1 shrimp in the center of each square. Add approximately 1⁄4 to 1⁄2 teaspoon of the garlic and shallot mixture. Wrap and seal the shrimp in pasta.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, until the pasta is al dente and the shrimp are cooked through. Drain and serve with the pesto. (Do not heat the pesto.)