Pastry Cream Filling
This classic pastry cream recipe can be used as a filling for fruit tarts, layer cakes, éclairs, and cream puffs.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 cups whole milk
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- In a saucepan heat the milk, butter, and 1⁄4 cup of the sugar to a simmer.
- In a bowl whisk together the remaining sugar with the flour, cornstarch, and eggs to form a paste.
- Temper the egg mixture with half of the heated milk mixture by gradually whisking the heated milk into the bowl.
- Whisk the tempered egg mixture into the saucepan containing the remaining heated milk mixture and heat to a boil, whisking the whole time. Whisk in the vanilla.
- Remove pan from heat and pour the mixture into a bowl. Cover the surface directly with plastic wrap and chill the pastry cream completely.