Patatopita (Potato Pie)
This recipe incorporates halloumi cheese. Halloumi is a traditional Cypriot cheese made from sheep and goat’s milk that has a texture similar to mozzarella, though saltier in flavor.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 2 hours 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄2 lbs. white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup finely crumbled Greek feta cheese
- 1 cup finely shredded halloumi cheese
- 1⁄8 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil potatoes in plenty of salted water until soft, about 35 minutes. Drain and place in large mixing bowl; mash well and leave to cool slightly a few minutes.
- Add cheeses, nutmeg, salt, pepper, and eggs; incorporate well with potatoes, until entire mix is smooth and creamy.
- Using 1 tablespoon oil, grease a medium baking pan well; spread a little less than half of breadcrumbs evenly across bottom of pan. Pour potato mixture into greased pan; spread evenly.
- Evenly distribute rest of breadcrumbs across top; drizzle remaining olive oil on top.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Note: The pie will rise while in the oven and will settle when removed to cool. Let stand 1 hour before slicing and serving.