Pâté de Campagne (Country Pâté)
A good baguette and some great pâté can make an awesome lunch. But this popular charcuterie is mostly eaten as an appetizer.
Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 1 day 1 hour 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- ½ lb. pork belly
- ¼ lb. beef or chicken liver
- 1 shallot, peeled and diced
- 1 Tbsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Espelette pepper (or paprika)
- 3 lbs. sausage meat
- 1 Tbsp. thyme plus 6 stalks fresh thyme
- 1 Tbsp. chopped parsley
- 3 fresh bay leaves
- Chop the pork belly and the liver in small pieces. Put them in a blender. Process for 1 minute. Add diced shallot to the blender. Add salt, pepper, and Espelette pepper. Process for another minute.
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage meat with the pork belly and liver mixture. Add thyme and diced parsley. Mix everything with your hand.
- Press the mixture into a meatloaf pan. Place bay leaves and fresh thyme stalks on the top of the meat. Cover with plastic wrap, and leave in the refrigerator for 24 hours at least.
- The next day, preheat the oven to 360°F. Pour cold water in a very large baking pan (to a depth of about 1"). Remove the plastic wrap and place the meatloaf pan in this baking pan. Cook for 90 minutes.
- Serve cold.