Patriotic Ombre Sorbet
Keep the red, white and blue theme going this summer with this flag-inspired summer sweet that layers a variety of fruit sorbets! This sorbet is sure to impress your guests, but it’s deceptively simple to make.
Serves: 8Prep: 4 hoursCook: 1 hourTotal: 5 hours
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 3 cups frozen blueberries
- 3 cups frozen raspberries
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 8 small Mason jars
- Pour the lemon juice into an ice cube tray and freeze for at least 4 hours or until it's frozen solid.
- Heat the water, 1 cup of sugar and 1 tablespoon of salt in a small saucepan over low heat until the sugar dissolves, about 2-3 minutes.
- Heat the coconut milk and the remaining sugar and salt in a separate small saucepan over low heat until dissolved, about 2-3 minutes.
- Set both mixtures aside to cool for 30 minutes, then pour them into separate airtight containers and allow them to chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Combine the frozen blueberries and half of the water-sugar-salt mixture in a blender. Blend until smooth. Portion the sorbet evenly into 8 small Mason jars and place in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Blend the frozen lemon juice and lemon zest with the coconut milk, sugar and salt mixture in a clean blender until smooth. Remove the Mason jars from the freezer and layer the lemon-coconut mixture over the blueberry sorbet in each jar. Place them in the freezer for 5 additional minutes.
- Mix the raspberries and the remainder of the water, sugar and salt mixture in a cleaned blender. Blend until smooth. Remove the Mason jars from the freezer and layer the raspberry sorbet over the lemon-coconut layer. Place the Mason jars in the freezer for 5 minutes, then serve immediately. Freeze any leftovers.