Serves: 8Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 6 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter, softened
- 3 cups peeled and sliced peaches
- 2 cups whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a bowl, sift together the sifted flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add the shortening and, using a pastry blender, cut in until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine the egg and cream in a small bowl and stir to combine. Add all at once to the flour mixture and stir only to moisten.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured work surface. Knead gently for 1 minute. Pat or roll out the dough 1⁄2 inch thick. Using a floured 2 1⁄2-inch round or fluted cutter, cut out 6 biscuits. Place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove to a rack to cool for 3 minutes, then split horizontally into 2 layers. Spread butter on bottom layers, then top with peaches. Place top layer over peaches. Serve immediately with whipped cream.