Peanut Butter Cups
Serves: 24Hands-on: 30 minutesTotal: 1 hour 35 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 3⁄4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- In the top of a double boiler or in a heatproof bowl, combine the chocolate chips and shortening. Place over simmering water and stir until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from the heat but keep warm over hot water.
- Using about 1 teaspoon of the chocolate mixture for each cup, coat the inside of 24 round paper candy cups (1 inch). To do so, place each cup in the palm of your hand and rotate it gently, using the back of a spoon to push the chocolate up the sides. Chill until firm, 15 to 20 minutes.
- To make the filling, combine in a bowl, the peanut butter, confectioners’ sugar, and butter; mix until well blended. Using slightly rounded teaspoonfuls, shape the filling into balls. Place 1 ball into each chilled cup and press lightly with fingers to flatten.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the melted chocolate mixture on top of each filled cup and smooth over to seal. Chill until firm, about 45 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.