Peanut Butter and Jelly Cupcakes
This is a perennial kids’ favorite, transformed into a fun cupcake!
Serves: 14Hands-on: 45 minutesTotal: 2 hours 25 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3 Tbsp. peanut butter, divided
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup grape jelly
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable shortening
- 2 Tbsp. vegan margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar, divided
- 2 Tbsp. soy creamer
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate covered peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together oil, 3 tablespoons peanut butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, vinegar, and water until smooth. Gently stir wet ingredients into flour mixture, stirring until there are no large lumps. Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake pans until 3⁄4 full.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of the cupcakes. Allow to cool in the pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and place on wire racks to cool completely.
- To make frosting, beat shortening, margarine, and remaining 1 cup peanut butter in a large bowl until blended. Beat in 1 cup powdered sugar, soy creamer, and remaining 1⁄4 tsp. vanilla extract. Beat in the rest of the powdered sugar, adding additional powdered sugar or soy creamer until desired consistency is achieved.
- To fill, cut a small core from the top center of each cupcake. Place 1 to 2 teaspoons of grape jelly in each cupcake. Trim the core pieces to fit and use them to cover the hole in each cupcake. Frost each cupcake and garnish with chocolate covered peanuts.
- Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.