This southern confection is traditionally made with pecans; however, other nuts may be used. These delicious candies feature salted peanuts.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 2 hours 20 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1⁄4 cup superfine sugar
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄8 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1⁄2 cup salted peanuts
- Line a baking sheet with waxed or parchment paper.
- Using a wooden spoon, combine the sugars, cream of tartar, vanilla, and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan or skillet. Place over medium heat, stirring continuously for approximately 6 minutes.
- When the mixture turns a dark honey color, remove from heat and add the peanuts. Working quickly, blend thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture onto the parchment paper and spread into a thin layer. Cool at least 1 hour. Break into small pieces and serve.