The gritty-textured pear makes it a perfect fruit for granita making, not only in terms of texture, but in subdued flavor as well.
Serves: 10Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 4 hours 15 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 1¾ cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large very ripe pears, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Combine the water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Remove from heat and combine with the remaining ingredients. Purée in food processor or blender until smooth.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- Pour into a covered container and place in the freezer for 1 hour. Remove from freezer, and stir the frozen crystals into the center of the container with a fork. Return the container to the freezer, and repeat the process every 30–45 minutes, stirring carefully each time, until you have a fully frozen container of crystallized granita.