This recipe gives you a chance to try a different kind of grain instead of rice for variety in your repertoire.
Serves: 4Hands-on: 10 minutesTotal: 55 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1½ cups pearl barley
- 1 cup sliced green onions
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2½ cups hot water
- 1½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- Place a medium-size saucepan over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add barley and sauté for 2 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon. Add green onions and garlic, stirring constantly for an additional minute.
- Add beef broth and water while stirring. Add salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook until barley is tender to the bite, about 40 to 45 minutes. Serve warm.