Pecan Pumpkin Bread with Pumpkin Cream Cheese Spread
A moist and delicious harvest time bread enhanced with the addition of a flavorful, seasonal cream cheese spread.
Serves: 24Prep: 30 minutesCook: 1 hour 15 minutesTotal: 1 hour 45 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup vegetable oil or light olive oil
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 2 cans (15 oz.) of pumpkin puree
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, room temperature
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- For the Pumpkin Bread: Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom only of two 9”x5” loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, combine the flours, 3 cups of the sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil, water, eggs and 1 can of the pumpkin puree; mix well. Add to flour mixture and beat for 1 minute at medium speed. Stir in pecans.
- Pour batter into prepared pans and bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean. Cool 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove from pans and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the Spread: Beat the cream cheese, ½ cup of the pumpkin puree, ¼ cup of sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl on medium speed, stopping often to scrape mixture, until well combined.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, and up to 24 hours, to allow flavors to blend.
- Slice bread and serve with a schmear of spread.