Pecorino Truffle Gratin
Shaved truffle and pecorino al tartufo cheese add richness and depth to this special dish. If you can't find pecorino with truffles, use a regular pecorino.
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 1 hour 20 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small shallots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1 oz. shaved black truffle
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1½ cups grated aged Asiago cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- ½ cup grated pecorino al tartufo cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat, and then sauté the shallots until they are softened.
- Put chicken broth on the stove or in the microwave and heat to just under the boiling point. Turn to low and keep warm.
- Layer half the potatoes on the bottom of an oiled 9" × 13" baking dish or 10" gratin dish. Spread shallots evenly over the potatoes, and then layer with shaved truffles. Layer with remaining potatoes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine Asiago and garlic until well mixed, then set aside. Pour warm broth over the top of the layered potatoes, then sprinkle Asiago and garlic mixture evenly over the top.
- Cut butter into small cubes and dot the surface of the gratin with butter. Butter a piece of aluminum foil and cover baking dish with buttered foil, buttered side down. Bake for 40 minutes, uncover, and continue baking until the potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes longer. Top with grated Pecorino Tartufo, return to oven, and bake for 10 minutes more. Serve immediately.