Penne with Arugula and Tomatoes
Serves: 6Hands-on: 20 minutesTotal: 40 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1⁄2 tsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp. salt, divided
- 1 lb. penne
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated pecorino romano cheese
- 6 oz. baby arugula
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until translucent. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, oregano, thyme, basil, and sugar. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes. Season with pepper and 1⁄2 teaspoon salt.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, bring 4 quarts of water to a rolling boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Add the penne and stir to separate. Test frequently for doneness and cook until barely al dente. Drain, transfer to a warm bowl, and add the butter. Toss and add half the cheese. Toss again.
- Add half of the arugula to the sauce and stir briefly. Add the penne and heat 5 minutes, just long enough for the pasta to take on the flavor of the sauce. Transfer the pasta to individual bowls and sprinkle with the remaining cheese and arugula.