Penne with Asparagus
Serves: 4Hands-on: 15 minutesTotal: 35 minutesDifficulty: Easy
- 8 oz. uncooked penne or ziti pasta
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2⁄3 cup 1% milk
- 2 lbs. pencil-thin asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of water to boiling and add a little salt. Add the pasta and cook until just tender, about 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and sauté until soft, about 6 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato sauce and milk; increase the heat and bring to a boil. Add the asparagus and thyme, and reduce the heat to low. Partially cover and cook until asparagus is tender and sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add the pasta to the asparagus mixture along with the salt and pepper. Toss until well coated.