Peppermint-Flavored Candy Cane Cookies
Perfect with hot chocolate, these cookies are a treat on a cold winter's day.
Makes: 36Hands-on: 40 minutesTotal: 50 minutesDifficulty: Medium
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 1 large egg
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 tsp. peppermint extract
- 3 drops red food coloring
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Beat together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla, salt, and egg. On low speed, beat in the flour 1⁄2 cup at a time until dough forms. Shape into a ball and divide in half.
- In a small bowl, mix together the peppermint extract and red food coloring. Knead the food coloring mixture into 1 of the dough halves.
- With lightly floured hands, roll 1 teaspoon of plain dough into a 4" rope. Repeat the process with 1 teaspoon of the red dough. Braid the ropes together and shape as a candy cane. Pinch together the ends to seal. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- Place the cookies at least 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 10 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack to cool.